Base extensions provides allows us to automatically detect broken cross references within a document, highlight these to a user and allow them to easily correct them within the document. The tool essentially works by indexing every field code of type REF_ along with the bookmark that it refers to. It then checks for the existence of these bookmarks within the document. Where they do not exist, the cross reference will be broken.
Using the tool:
- Select the Broken Cross-references functionality option from the ribbon.
- The user will be presented with the following dialog. If no broken cross-references are found, the user will be informed, and all buttons will be de-activated:
- The Next and Previous buttons allow the user to browse between all the broken references that have been identified. NOTE that when only one exists, these buttons are de-activated.
- Selecting the Update button simply updates the cross-reference in the document. This will result in the cross-reference displaying as Error! Reference source not found.
- Selecting the Insert button will present the user with the standard word Cross-referencing dialog:
Information on the standard use of this dialog can be found here.
- The user then has the option to select the correct paragraph to reference to and after selecting insert the cross-reference will be updated appropriately.
- NOTE that the user will need to close the Cross-Reference dialog after inserting. Not doing so before returning to the cross-reference tool dialog in incorrect cross refences being inserted.